Friday, September 4, 2009

Put me on a highway...

...and show me a sign

Lots of people responded to my facebook post calling for suggestions for my roadtrip soundtrack. I'd like to specifically thank Andy Collins, Zoe Baum, Monty Ashley, Linae Foster, Marty Durham, Brice Rheinhardt-Beltran for contributions that fit in very nicely. I spent a good chunk of this morning finishing the soundtrack with these suggestions and a fair piece of my own imagining. Some are simply road songs. Some are more in-line with the greater meaning of this trip for me. Or at least what I hope the greater meaning turns out to be. Some of you have DJ sensibilities...no apologies on that front. For those who have an expressed an interest, here's the whole enchilada.

Movin' Right Along - the Muppets and cast of Sesame Street
King of the Road - Roger Miller
East Bound and Down - Jerry Reed
On the Road Again - Willie Nelson
I've Been Everywhere - Johnny Cash
Changes in Lattitudes - Jimmy Buffett
Friend of the Devil - Grateful Dead
"I lit up from Reno I was trailed by twenty hounds..."
Many Rivers to Cross - Jimmy Cliff
Sweet Home Chicago - Robert Johnson
A Change Is Gonna Come - Sam Cooke
Take It To the Limit - Eagles
Coyote - Joni Mitchell
"Either he's gonna have to stand and fight, or take off outta here..."
I've Been to Memphis - Lyle Lovett
Redemption Song - Bob Marley and the Wailers
Further On Up the Road - Eric Clapton and The Band
Mystery Train - Elvis Presley
Already Gone - Eagles
"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains, and we never even know we have the key..."
Peter Gunn - Henry Mancini
Route 66 - The Brian Setzer Orchestra
Road Hog - The Coctails
Slow Ride - Foghat
Road to Nowhere - Talking Heads
My Life - Billy Joel
Thumbelina - Pretenders
"We left the snowstorms and the thunder and rain/for the desert sun, we're gonna be born again"
Going to California - Led Zeppelin
Soak Up The Sun - Sheryl Crow
Low Rider - War
Graceland - Paul Simon
"My traveling companions are ghosts and empty sockets..."
(Don't Go Back To) Rockville - R.E.M.
Roam - The B-52's
Crawling to the USA - Elvis Costello
Good Excuse - The John Butler Trio
The Breakdown - Los Lobos
Locomotive Breath - Jethro Tull
Stickshifts and Safety Belts - Cake
Cadillac Boogie - Mighty Blue Kings
Circle Around the Sun - Poi Dog Pondering
Ramble On - Led Zeppelin
Stand - R.E.M.
I Wish - Stevie Wonder
Take the Long Way Home - Supertramp
When Problems Arise - Fishbone
The Distance - Cake
American Music - Violent Femmes
Uncontrollable Urge - Devo
Lust for Life - Iggy Pop
I'm Shipping Up to Boston - Dropkick Murphys
Runnin' Down a Dream - Tom Petty
Lido Shuffle - Boz Scaggs
Brand New Cadillac - The Clash
Bohemian Rhapsedy - Queen
The Boys of Summer - The Ataris
"Out on the road today I saw a Black Flag sticker on a cadillac..."
Everybody's Happy Nowadays - The Buzzcocks
No Sleep 'til Brooklyn - The Beastie Boys

Wish me luck, everyone

3 comments:

  1. Good luck! I look forward to reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eternal Father, strong to save,
    Whose arm hath bound the restless wave,
    Who bidst the mighty ocean deep
    Its own appointed limits keep;
    O, hear us when we cry to Thee
    For those in peril on the sea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. footloose and fancy free! getting there is half the fun, come share it with me.

    ReplyDelete